Configuration for Microstation
November 3rd, 2014
Bentley Software – hints and tips:
A guide to best practise configuration for Microstation users.
What is a Workspace?
A workspace is a custom MicroStation environment or configuration invoked when starting MicroStation. By selecting a workspace, you customise MicroStation for a specific discipline, job, project or task. There is always a workspace operating when you run MicroStation and this can be defined to work locally and/or on a server to your benefit.
The role of the workspace is to:
Inform MicroStation where things are:
- Cell libraries, reference files, seed files, MDL’s and macros and design files.
- Define the user interface and selection of tools and availability.
- Inform MicroStation about your preferences such as window layout, button assignments, tool settings and user preferences
- Locate project folders and files
- Resources files for fonts and linestyles, settings groups and function key menus
Workspaces allow you to:
- Create central standard data files for your office to prevent duplication on individual workstations.
- Organise data outside of the MicroStation’s directory structure on a per project basis.
- Centralise the deployment, storage and management of company CAD standards.
- Protect files from deletion and modification by storing them on a safe, backed-up network server.
Working on more than one project? Benefit from an optimised workspace and if there’s more than one person working on the same project, the benefits will be compounded.
A well-designed workspace will bring improved productivity and quality.
Using a correctly configured MicroStation workspace can automatically make available to you the correct levels, cells, line styles, seed files and fonts as the default. You don’t have to remember where resources are stored for a particular project or search through folders. MicroStation workspaces can be used to pre-configure many of the choices that CAD users experience on a daily basis. The time spent configuring and setting up a workspace is more than recovered later when using the workspace.
Cadventure can provide proven best practise workspaces to meet your business and project requirements.
Please contact us to find out more.